ENTER ACHILLES - FILM
The video is loading. If it fails to load after several seconds then your browser or media player may not be supported.
Please ensure you are running the latest version of your browser.
If the video is taking too long to load please check your internet connection/speed.
A funny, cruel exploration of the male psyche, Enter Achilles is set in a typical British pub, a shabby, nicotine-stained boozer. Pop songs tumble out of the jukebox, there is football on the TV, and the eight men lark around, pint glasses in hand. But their blokish fun is balanced on a knife-edge of tension, for beneath the mateyness lurks a disturbing undercurrent of paranoia and insecurity, where weakness is brutally exploited and violence covers up vulnerability.
DIRECTOR Clara van Gool
ADAPTED FOR THE SCREEN BY Lloyd Newson and Clara van Gool
Based on the stage production Enter Achilles — conceived and directed by Lloyd Newson
A DV8 Films production for the BBC in association with RM Associates.
Video label = Dance Videos
45 mins © BBC 1996 license holder = Arthaus Musik
• For screening enquiries, see contact us
PERFORMERS Gabriel Castillo, Jordi Cortes Molina, David Emanuel, Ross Hounslow, Jeremy James, Juan Kruz Diaz de Garaio Esnaola, Liam Steel, Robert Tannion
COSTUMES BY Christopher Oram, Claire Anderson, Fiona Chilcott
ART DIRECTOR Sam Riley
DESIGNER Michael Howells
MUSIC BY Adrian Johnston
EDITOR John Costelloe
DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY Nils Post
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER Bob Lockyer
PRODUCER David Stacey
• Jury Prize Montreal Festival for Films on Art 1998, Montreal
• Emmy Award 1997, Performing Arts, New York
• Golden Spire Performance Special, San Francisco Film Festival 1997
• Prix du Ministre-Président First Screening Stage Arts Festival 1997, Brussells
• Prix Italia Special Prize - Television, Music & Arts, 1996
• Best Stage Performance Reworked for the Camera IMZ Dance Screen 1996
• Special Prize 6th Golden Antenna Television Festival 1996
Film clips from Enter Achilles courtesy of Arthaus Musik